March 03, 2013

Amy Lott


Amy Lott- Musician
Meridian, Mississippi
 




 
 


 


What do you do, or want to do when you grow up?
Change something for the better.

Sound track of your life or top 5 songs...
"She" Chris Ethridge and Gram Parsons
"Prelude in C # minor" Rachmoninoff
"It is well with my soul" Spafford/Bliss
"Come on up to the House" Tom Waits
"She Loves Jesus" Steve Wilkerson

What is your idea of freedom?
Complete understanding of those things unseen.
 
Name something you would like to do before you die...
Go see each NFL team at home within one season traveling in an RV. Or see a Blue whale breaching the surface. Either would do.

I can't live without...
Diet coke.

People would say that I am...
Silly.

What's your instrument of choice?
Clarinet hands down...no doubt about it.

If you had your way, what would be different with daily activities?
I would have completed Nursing School and be done forever with hand written care plans.

Love or Lust?
Really? That one is obvious.

Your favorite object?
My most precious material object is an 1904 Hamilton railroad watch left to me by my Papaw, 
Fred Harris. It was left to him by his grandfather, and the love he felt for this man was apparent 
anytime he spoke of the heirloom. There were very few circumstances in which he did not
have the watch with him, either attached to a chain tucked in his pants pocket,or between his 
fingers as he rubbed it gently. His face would light up with pride as he spoke of his grandfather 
using it when he worked for a railroad company. He would explain that Hamilton Watch company 
was known for producing precise instruments, and these watches were used to by the workers 
to keep the railways safe and efficient. I remember feeling a sense of awe when he would carefully 
screw off the back for me and show me it's inner workings. "They don't make things like this 
anymore, baby-doll!" he would exclaim. That voice still rings through my head when my phone 
freezes up or when I toss something forever broken in the trash. It is an amazing little machine, 
no doubt. It still keeps good time. When I wind it now the gentle ticking reminds me of him, and 
all the wonderful ways he enchanted the beginning chapters of my life.

Where did you grow up?
Meridian, MS

Where do you live now?
Meridian, MS

What's your sign?
Cancer

Links or websites you want us to know about:
youtube
youtube
facebook

also pictured:
photo 2: Joey Ethridge
photo 4: A photograph of the late Chris Ethridge of the Flying Burrito Brothers, who also co- wrote several songs with Gram Parsons.
Both are Friends of Amy's, whom she has performed with many times.

February 24 & March 1, 2013
Photography: Reggie Thomas

1 comment: